In my last post I discussed ways that parenting can help you overcome stumbling blocks to good health. Today, I’m reviewing and giving away a book that deals with how to put healthy eating and activity into action.
The Food Lover’s Healthy Habits Cookbook written by Janet Helm with Cooking Light, is ideal for the New Year because it is organized into 12 steps, making it easy to digest and master one step a month.
The unique set up of the book makes it a true gem in my opinion. It addition to the amazing recipes, it provides strategies, steps, real-life stories and expert tips on how to eat healthier and exercise in a way that fits your lifestyle. It’s also done in a very positive manner — focusing on healthy habits over dieting or restriction.
Here are the 12 steps along with a brief summary with what is included:
1. Learn to Get Cooking — The goal is to cook at least 3 more times week. Tips include how to stock a kitchen, easy meal prep and other simplification ideas. Recipes include alternatives to takeout such as Chicken Fried Rice and Shrimp Pad Thai.
2. Eat Breakfast Daily — The goal is to eat a healthy breakfast every day. This section includes tips and recipes that will help you get out of your breakfast rut — healthy muffins, tasty yogurt parfaits and multiple egg-related items.
3. Go for Whole Grains — The goal is to eat at least 3 servings of whole grains daily. Tips include making whole grain swaps and trying new grains such as bulgur, farro and freekeh. I personally want to try some of the whole grain salads that can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for quick meals.
4. Get Moving — The goal is to be active 30 minutes a day, three times per week. Tips include what you need to get started, how to naturally fit activity in your life and what to eat before and after workouts to maximize energy.
5. Veggie Up — The goal is to eat 3 or more servings each day. Tips include adding veggies to breakfast,
6. Eat More Fish: The goal is to make seafood the centerpiece of meals two times per week. There are ideas on how to include fish in favorite recipes, tips on cooking it, and ways to make it more appealing (to kids too).
7. Eat More Healthy Fats: The goal is to increase healthy fats and decrease unhealthy fats every day. You get tips on how to include how to make easy swaps, an A-Z guide on nuts, and the biggest fat mistakes people make. Recipes are heavy on heart-healthy nuts, avocados and olives. Yum!
8. Go Meatless One Day a week — The goal is to go meatless for all three meals one day week. Tips include how to make over family meals, tasty side inspiration and what counts as a protein serving. Recipes like vegetable lasagna and three-bean vegetarian chili look amazing.
9. Get Stronger: The goal is to include strength training at least 2 times per week. Tips include what you need to get started, inspiring stories, and sample exercise. The content of recipes is meant to help promote stronger muscles.
10. Eat Less Salt:, — The goal is to reduce the amount of salt you eat every day. By reading labels, making your own salad dressings, sauces and soups, you can save a lot in the sodium department.
11. Be Portion Aware –– The goal is to find ways to eat a little less without thinking about it. Tips include
12. Eat Mindfully — The goal is to be mindful, purposeful and joyful each time you eat. There are great tips on how to avoid the judgment and low awareness that leads to over-eating. This part has comfort foods such as Bacon Mac and beautiful looking meals.
All I can say is this is an amazing book that can help anyone incorporate healthy habits in a sensible way. I need to work on expanding whole grains beyond rice, oats and wheat, getting out of breakfast our rut and finding new ways to cook and enjoy fish. I have already used this book to make my goals for the New Year!
Here’s what you need to do to enter the giveaway:
1) Mandatory entry: Leave a comment telling me why you’d like to win a copy of this book.
2) For a second entry, Join our Fearless Feeding Community (LIKE) on Facebook and leave a comment here saying you did. If you already like us, share the Fearless Feeding Facebook page with a friend and tell me here.
3) For a third entry tweet or “Like” this page and leave one last comment.
One winner will be chosen using random.org. The winners will be announced on Raise Healthy Eater’s Facebook Page. This giveaway ends next Monday, January 7th, at midnight.
You must be 18 to enter. Products shipped within the US only.The best part about this review is I have an extra copy to give away.